Get Creative Even with a Time Crunch
Even when you don’t have a whole afternoon for diving into your altered book, you can get creative even with a time crunch. By doing your pages in stages you can slowly build your altered book. We have a whole year to play so calm yourself when you feel the pressure of producing (that’s for the outside world).
This is your creative “me” time for fun & relaxing. No stress, no pressure, and no perfection. As we uncover our personal truths that years of kicking them under “I shoulds” there will be emotions we will feel. Try your best to be compassionate with yourself and forgive what you may think are your downfalls. Give yourself the gift of being truthful – grieve the loss and celebrate your triumphs.
Use an art journal or your altered book if you’re following the year of creative discovery.
When you have big chunks of time:
- Do backgrounds
- Get messy
- Get out all your supplies
- Do some paintings in your book (keep a hair dryer handy for drying)
- Make it special with a cup of tea/glass of wine, great music, and a candle/incense.
- Do some pages & then take a nap
- Make an image/idea library in a 3 ring binder. Put all the images in here that peak your interest.
- Cut out pictures & words from magazines
When you have one hour:
- Collage background/large pieces on your page
- If you have water soluble crayons or pan watercolors do an abstract on a page
- Paint a tree
- Rip up images for their color and make a landscape
- Practice meditating for 5 – 10 min, looking inside you for any symbols that come up. Paint or draw what you see or use the body outline to draw on.
- Doodle a mandala or any design in a circle. Play some soothing calm music as you draw.
- Start an image transfer (directions will be posted)
- Add a thin layer of gesso on a printed picture of yourself and decorate/paint it.
When you have 1/2 hour:
- Get ideas from the Pintrest board if you’re tired or need a break.
- Organize your supplies and put your favorites in a large baggie for easy use.
- Cut out images
- Think about prompts/themes and your truth.
- Journal your thoughts without really thinking too hard & don’t stop until 1/2 hr is done.
- Plan a page and use sticky notes to remember what you want to do
- Write a poem
- Power nap/meditate
- Get outside & walk around the block
When you have 15 minutes:
- Check in with how your body feels
- Stretch – bend over, twist your body, move your neck, do some wall push-ups, and stand in a superhero stance for 5 mins.
- Hug yourself & tell yourself how cool you are
- Listen to your inner self/higher self and find out what you want to do
- Dance to your favorite song
- Imagine your perfect spot/house/garden, etc